Pitching your press release to the media can be a daunting prospect, as this can be the main decider as to whether your business obtains coverage or not.
Journalists receive dozens of press releases on a daily basis so your pitch and your release need to really stand out from the crowd. A planned, targeted approach that gets straight to the point can make a real difference.
So how should you pitch your news to journalists? In step 8 of our fast track guide to ‘Crafting the perfect release’ here are some dos and don’ts.
ACTIONS – Do:
- Pull together a list of key outlets and identify journalists.
- Find out how your target journalists like to be contacted i.e. phone or email. If they need to pitch your release into their editor, make sure you always have a summary on email ready to send.
- Keep it short and simple.
- Use the key message of the press release as your hook.
- Reference data (either yours or someone else’s) to back up any claims you make.
- Give advance warning if a lead time is needed on breaking stories.
- Make your press release sound as attractive as possible.
- Personalise your pitch to the publication you are talking to.
ACTIONS – Don’t:
- Use a public Twitter page or Facebook wall to pitch your story – DM individual journalists to keep the conversation private if social media is their preferred method of contact.
- Tell journalists about competing coverage as it will put them off.
- Send your press release out to every publication possible – be targeted in your approach.
- Blag your way through your phone call or email – prepare what you want to say in advance.
- Leave a voicemail and expect journalists to come back to you. They’re very busy so it’s up to you to chase them.
- Expect every journalist to publish your release.
By Kathryn Dishman, Managing Director, KD Communications.
We would love to meet you on Twitter. Follow @KD_Comms for all of our updates and feel free to share this post on LinkedIn, Facebook, Google+ or Twitter.
Do you need help in crafting the perfect press release? Get in touch with us for help with your PR. Call 07941694702 or email firstname.lastname@example.org